Programs - Electronics
Canadians Have Recycled Over 1 Million Tonnes Of E-Waste
Canada has achieved a truly significant milestone in recycling and resource recovery. We've recycled 1 million tonnes of electronics through the EPRA program. It's an achievement we can all be proud of, and we're just getting started.
An award-winning industry leader in stewardship for best-in-class electronics recycling programs.
Now in our second decade of navigating the regulatory landscapes and challenging logistical backdrops, EPRA is the expert in safe, secure and environmentally sound recycling.
The largest network of qualified processors and drop-off locations in Canada.
As a Producer Responsibility Organization (PRO), EPRA Ontario is responsible for the safe and secure collection and recycling of electronics on behalf of the Stewards we represent. With the largest network of qualified processors and drop-off locations in Canada, EPRA is uniquely positioned to support Canada.
For more info, please watch: "This is EPRA":
Access & Information
Recent surveys have revealed that 80% of Canadians have obsolete or end-of-life electronics at home. Our end-of-life electronics are filled with resources that need to be recovered and recycled. They contain everything from plastic and glass to gold, silver, copper and palladium. It just makes sense to recover and reuse these natural resources so they go back into the manufacturing supply chain.
By safely and securely recycling that cache of unused and unwanted electronics in our homes it, first and foremost, ensures they’re kept out of landfills and prevented from being illegally exported or handled by irresponsible recyclers. Recycling electronics creates a ripple of positive effects.
The EPRAON program only works with recyclers who have been verified under the national Electronics Recycling Standard. This ensures that recyclers are maintaining appropriate environmental, health and safety controls, and are properly handling all materials.
EPRA Ontario is proud to be an early adapter and initiator of true Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) for electronics recycling. For over a decade, EPRA has assisted retailers, electronic producers and manufacturers meet their legislative obligations throughout Canada.
At EPRA Ontario, we are committed to the integrity of our electronics recycling process.
- Safe and secure destruction of all personal and proprietary data on devices and electronics sets the global standard.
- Confidential data destruction process uses advanced technology to wipe or physically destroy data, hard drives and electronics once they have been collected.
- Thorough system of checks and balances and written guarantee.
When you bring your old, unusable electronics to an EPRA Ontario authorized drop-off locations, you’re helping to:
- Prevent e-waste from being illegally exported or handled by irresponsible recyclers, decreasing environmental issues for the planet.
- Recover and recycle resources that can be put back into the manufacturing supply chain, conserving natural resources.
- Ensure the safe and secure destruction of personal data stored on hardware.
- Protect health and safety of workers and handlers.
- Divert e-waste from Canadian landfills.
EPRA is the Canadian environmental leader and advocate for safe and secure e-waste recycling programs throughout Canada.
- EPRA Ontario enables regulated, cost-effective recycling program management for consumers and businesses.
- EPRA Ontario recognizes the uniqueness of provincial regulation and appropriate stakeholders.
- EPRA Ontario leverages national expertise to provide solutions for regulatory recycling compliance for obligated Stewards under the Ontario Resource Recovery and Circular Economy Act (RRCEA).